President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.
Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.
Iranian official says 'no intention to continue' fighting if Israel stops strikes
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on social media there is "NO 'agreement'" on a ceasefire following President Donald Trump's announcement.
However, he said if Israel halted strikes by 4 a.m Tehran time (8:30 p.m. EDT) "we have no intention to continue our response afterwards," he said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during a press conference in Istanbul, Turkey, June 22, 2025.
Erdem Sahin/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
He said a final decision "on the cessation of our military operations" would be made later.
He later thanked Iranian armed forces who he said "responded to any attack by the enemy until the very last minute."
Jun 23, 2025, 8:26 PM EDT
Gabbard calls Iran-Israel ceasefire a 'herculean effort' by Trump
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard praised what she called a "historic" ceasefire agreement between Iran and Israel, crediting President Donald Trump with brokering the deal and calling it a "herculean effort."
Gabbard had been at the White House in recent days as diplomatic talks intensified and airstrikes escalated, alongside senior staff and Cabinet officials.
Last week, Trump has expressed frustration with Gabbard's previous comments, saying she was "wrong" when she told Congress in March there was no evidence Iran was building a nuclear weapon.
Newly sworn in Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard shakes hands with President Donald Trump in the Oval Office at the White House, Feb. 12, 2025 in Washington.
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images
As a 2020 Democratic candidate, Gabbard was adamant in her opposition to "regime change wars" and war with Iran, so much so that she sold campaign t-shirts that said, "No War With Iran."
In an additional statement to ABC News on Monday night, Gabbard said the U.S. strike against Iran obliterated "key Iranian capabilities needed to quickly assemble a nuclear weapon."
"The operation was a resounding success," Gabbard added
-ABC News' Beatrice Peterson
Jun 23, 2025, 8:11 PM EDT
7 US government-assisted flights carrying American nationals have departed Israel
Since the State Department began assisting departure flights for American nationals from Israel on Saturday, there have been a total of seven flights that have left the country, a State Department official told ABC News.
Approximately 250 U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, and their accompanying immediate family members, were aboard the flights, the official said.
The flights have arrived in Athens, Greece; Rome, Italy; and Larnaca, Cyprus.
-ABC News' Shannon Kingston
Jun 23, 2025, 7:54 PM EDT
Trump says he thinks ceasefire is 'going to go forever'
After announcing that Israel and Iran have agreed to a ceasefire, President Donald Trump said it was a "wonderful day for the world" in a phone interview with NBC News.
"It's a great day for America. It's a great day for the Middle East. I'm very happy to have been able to get the job done. A lot of people were dying and it was only going to get worse," Trump said.
Trump said he believes that the 12-day war between Israel and Iran is over.
When asked how long the ceasefire would be, Trump said, "I think the ceasefire is unlimited. It's going to go forever."