President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.
Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.
Trump spoke with Netanyahu before ceasefire announcement: Sources
President Trump spoke to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday afternoon, multiple sources familiar with the call told ABC News.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks about the the US's decision to bomb Iran's nuclear sites, June 22, 2025.
GPO
The call occurred before Trump announced a ceasefire between Israel and Iran.
-ABC News' Kelsey Walsh
Jun 23, 2025, 10:37 PM EDT
Trump says Israel and Iran both approached him seeking peace
President Donald Trump posted on social media late Monday evening -- about four hours after making the announcement of the ceasefire between Israel and Iran -- that both countries approached him "almost simultaneously" seeking peace.
President Donald Trump gestures towards the new flagpole on the South Lawn of the White House as he returns to the White House in Washington, June 21, 2025.
Ron Sachs/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
I knew the time was NOW," Trump posted on Truth Social. "The World, and the Middle East, are the real WINNERS! Both Nations will see tremendous LOVE, PEACE, AND PROSPERITY in their futures. They have so much to gain, and yet, so much to lose if they stray from the road of RIGHTEOUSNESS & TRUTH. The future for Israel & Iran is UNLIMITED, & filled with great PROMISE. GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!"
-ABC News' Kelsey Walsh
Jun 23, 2025, 9:14 PM EDT
Iranian official says 'no intention to continue' fighting if Israel stops strikes
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on social media there is "NO 'agreement'" on a ceasefire following President Donald Trump's announcement.
However, he said if Israel halted strikes by 4 a.m Tehran time (8:30 p.m. EDT) "we have no intention to continue our response afterwards," he said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during a press conference in Istanbul, Turkey, June 22, 2025.
Erdem Sahin/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
He said a final decision "on the cessation of our military operations" would be made later.
He later thanked Iranian armed forces who he said "responded to any attack by the enemy until the very last minute."
Jun 23, 2025, 8:26 PM EDT
Gabbard calls Iran-Israel ceasefire a 'herculean effort' by Trump
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard praised what she called a "historic" ceasefire agreement between Iran and Israel, crediting President Donald Trump with brokering the deal and calling it a "herculean effort."
Gabbard had been at the White House in recent days as diplomatic talks intensified and airstrikes escalated, alongside senior staff and Cabinet officials.
Last week, Trump has expressed frustration with Gabbard's previous comments, saying she was "wrong" when she told Congress in March there was no evidence Iran was building a nuclear weapon.
Newly sworn in Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard shakes hands with President Donald Trump in the Oval Office at the White House, Feb. 12, 2025 in Washington.
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images
As a 2020 Democratic candidate, Gabbard was adamant in her opposition to "regime change wars" and war with Iran, so much so that she sold campaign t-shirts that said, "No War With Iran."
In an additional statement to ABC News on Monday night, Gabbard said the U.S. strike against Iran obliterated "key Iranian capabilities needed to quickly assemble a nuclear weapon."
"The operation was a resounding success," Gabbard added