71 killed in Israeli attack on Iran prison, official says

The June 23 strike targeted the infamous Evin Prison in Tehran.

President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.

Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.

Jun 24, 2025, 5:57 AM EDT

Iranian army denies ceasefire violation, state media says

The General Staff of Iran's armed forces denied firing any missiles toward Israel on Tuesday morning, according to a statement carried by the state-aligned Tasnim news agency.

The Israel Defense Forces said two missiles were launched at Israel from Iran at 10:30 a.m. local time -- 3:30 a.m. ET. The IDF said the alleged launches violated a ceasefire agreement that President Donald Trump said came into force in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

-ABC News' Guy Davies

Jun 24, 2025, 4:53 AM EDT

Israel to use 'force' to respond to Iran missiles, IDF says

The Israel Defense Forces said it will respond "with force" to what it called a "severe violation of the ceasefire carried out by the Iranian regime" on Tuesday morning.

The IDF said it detected missiles launched toward Israel -- a report denied by Iranian state television -- from Iran shortly after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Israel's acceptance of a bilateral ceasefire, which hours before President Donald Trump said all sides had agreed to.

IDF Chief of the General Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir said in a statement, "In light of the severe violation of the ceasefire carried out by the Iranian regime, we will respond with force."

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said in a statement, “I have instructed the IDF to respond forcefully to Iran's violation of the ceasefire with powerful strikes against regime targets in the heart of Tehran."

-ABC News' Guy Davies

Jun 24, 2025, 3:37 AM EDT

IDF says missiles launched from Iran

"A short time ago, alerts were activated in northern Israel following the detection of missiles launched from Iran toward Israeli territory," the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement posted to X on Tuesday.

The reported launches came shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had agreed to a U.S.-proposed bilateral ceasefire with Tehran.

Jun 24, 2025, 3:19 AM EDT

Netanyahu confirms ceasefire, claims 'historical achievements'

In a statement published by his office early Tuesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had agreed to a ceasefire with Iran having "achieved all" of its military objectives.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a statement during a visit to the site of a ballistic missile attack in Rehovot, Israel, on June 20, 2025.
Jack Guez/POOL/AFP via Getty Images

"Israel thanks President Trump and the United States for their support in defense and their participation in eliminating the Iranian nuclear threat," Netanyahu said.

"In light of achieving the objectives of the operation, and in full coordination with President Trump, Israel has agreed to the president's proposal for a bilateral ceasefire," he added. "Israel will respond forcefully to any violation of the ceasefire."

"In Operation Rising Lion, the state of Israel achieved great historical achievements and placed itself on a par with the world powers," Netanyahu said.

-ABC News' Joe Simonetti

Sponsored Content by Taboola