71 killed in Israeli attack on Iran prison, official says

The June 23 strike targeted the infamous Evin Prison in Tehran.

President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.

Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.

Jun 24, 2025, 1:32 PM EDT

Israelis to resume full activity without restriction for most of the country, IDF says

Israeli citizens can resume full activity without restriction for most of the country Tuesday, according to Israel Home Front Command. The changes go into effect at 8:00 p.m. local time Tuesday, the IDF said.

The only area of the country not under full activity without restriction is communities near the Gaza Strip. They remain subject to the IDF Southern Command’s guidelines, the release said.

A man looks at items found in the rubble of a destroyed home in the northern Arab-Israeli city of Tamra, on June 24, 2025, days after after an Iranian ballistic missile slammed into the neighbourhood.
Ahmad Gharabli/AFP via Getty Images

-ABC News' Jordana Miller

Jun 24, 2025, 12:54 PM EDT

Iran still possesses 'considerable tactical capability,' US official says

Iran still retains "considerable" tactical capabilities and remains a threat to U.S. troops in the region, a senior military commander told lawmakers on Tuesday.

Iran’s power has been weakened in general since Israel’s military campaign began, Vice Adm. Brad Cooper told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

But when asked if Iran still poses a severe threat to U.S. troops and Americans around the world, Cooper said yes.

"They do. They possess considerable tactical capability, one element of which we saw yesterday, which we thwarted in defense of al-Udeid air base," Cooper said.

Cotton noted there could be other threats too, including terrorist attacks backed by Iranian-backed groups.

A child's toy lies amid debris at a building where four people were killed by an Iranian missile strike on June 24, 2025 in Beersheba, Israel.
Erik Marmor/Getty Images

"Completely agree, sir, we've got to be in a three point stance, ready to go every single day," Cooper said.

Cooper declined to provide more specifics, including any assessment of Iran’s nuclear program after the U.S. strike on the country’s nuclear facilities. Cooper said more details would be offered to lawmakers in a classified session later that day.

-ABC News' Anne Flaherty

Jun 24, 2025, 12:42 PM EDT

Iran won't violate ceasefire unless Israel does, Iranian president says

Iran won’t violate the ceasefire unless Israel does, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tuesday, according to Iran’s state-run media.

Pezeshkian made the comments in a telephone conversation with the prime minister of Malaysia Tuesday, Tasnim, Iran’s semi-official news agency, reported.

When Israel "failed to achieve its objectives, the U.S. directly participated in anti-Iran crimes and, contrary to all international rules, attacked Iranian nuclear sites," Pezeshkian said, according to Tasnim.

Men stand on the rubble of a destroyed home in the northern Arab-Israeli city of Tamra, on June 24, 2025, days after after an Iranian ballistic missile slammed into the neighbourhood.
Ahmad Gharabli/AFP via Getty Images

The Iranian attack on Al Udeid Air Base, the U.S. military site in Qatar, was "one of the most distressing consequences," of Israel’s "military aggression" against Iran, Pezeshkian told UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan on Tuesday, IRNA, Iranian state-run media, reported.

Iran was compelled to respond to the "U.S. crimes" by attacking an American airbase in Qatar, Pezeshkian said. This does not mean Iran is in conflict with the Qatari government and people, he said, according to Tasnim.

Jun 24, 2025, 10:31 AM EDT

Drones targeted US bases in Iraq overnight

Drones unsuccessfully targeted some U.S. military bases in Iraq Monday night and there were no American casualties, a U.S. official confirmed to ABC News.

-ABC News' Luis Martinez

Sponsored Content by Taboola