71 killed in Israeli attack on Iran prison, official says

The June 23 strike targeted the infamous Evin Prison in Tehran.

President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.

Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.

Jun 24, 2025, 7:51 PM EDT

Classified report on damage to Iran's nuclear program viewed by some senators

The initial classified assessment on damage to Iran's nuclear program by U.S. strikes made it to Capitol Hill Tuesday evening where it was reviewed by some senators, multiple aides confirmed to ABC News.

Members of Senate leadership and the Senate Intelligence Committee had the opportunity to view the document in a classified setting.

Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., the vice chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, viewed the document, as did Sen. Mark Kelly, D-Ariz., who is a member of the committee.

PHOTO: Senate Intel Hearing
WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 25: Senator Mark Warner (D-VA) questions witnesses during a Senate Committee on Intelligence hearing "to examine worldwide threats," in Washington, DC on March 25, 2025.
Anadolu via Getty Images

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., said he had "seen some stuff" when asked about the assessment but did not specify what specifically he had seen.

Senators did not give details about what they saw in the classified document.

Warner appeared on CNN on Tuesday and declined to comment on the specifics of what was detailed in the preliminary report.

"But I've got a lot of questions for the administration," Warner said. "I can tell you there was plenty of debate in the open domain about whether bunker buster bombs alone could take out Iran's facilities. We also have got questions about where all of Iran's enriched uranium is located at this point and if it's not taken out, what next? Are troops still in harm's way?"

-ABC News' Allison Pecorin

Jun 24, 2025, 4:39 PM EDT

IAEA director general says Iran's nuclear program set back, but couldn't say how long

Iran’s nuclear program has been set back "significantly," the director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency said in an interview on Fox News Tuesday. But he didn’t specify whether that meant "years."

IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi described Iran’s nuclear capabilities before June 13 and said their nuclear capabilities are now as "night and day."

"But it is clear that there is one Iran before June 13 -- nuclear Iran -- and one now,” he told Fox News. “It is night and day.”

When asked about where Iran potentially moved enriched uranium, Grossi said the IAEA does not know, and stressed the need for inspection activity to resume.

This satellite image provided by Maxar Technologies shows damage at the Fordo enrichment facility in Iran after U.S. strikes, on June 22, 2025.
AP

"We do not have information of the whereabouts of this material," he said. "The way to assert that is to allow the inspection activity to resume as soon as possible and this would be for the benefit of all."

Grossi said he "wouldn’t argue" with Vice President JD Vance’s statement on Fox News when he said Iran’s nuclear program has been obliterated without the ability to enrich uranium to 90% and convert that to a nuclear weapon.

Saying "60% is not 90[%]," he added, "So, I agree the Vice President is right in his assessment, from the perspective of the United States of America. He's talking about a military mission, and the criteria for success. I respect that, but my job is a different one. All right, my job is to try to see where is this material, because Iran has an obligation to report and account for all the material that they have."

Jun 24, 2025, 4:08 PM EDT

2 Holocaust survivors killed in Iranian strikes on Israel

Two Holocaust survivors were killed in separate Iranian strikes on Israel during the 12-day war, the Israeli Holocaust Survivors’ Rights Authority told ABC News.

Bella Ashkenazi, 94, was killed after an Iranian missile strike on Bat Yam during the night between June 14 and 15, the Bat Yam municipality spokesperson told ABC News. Ashkenazi was born in Bulgaria, according to the Holocaust Survivors’ Rights Authority.

Ivette Shmilovich, 95, was killed after an Iranian missile strike on Petah Tikva on June 16. She was born in Romania, according to the Holocaust Survivors’ Rights Authority. Her funeral was held Tuesday.

A woman places a wreath on the ground at the funeral of Bella Ashkenazi, who was killed at her home when a missile fired from Iran hit it, in Holon, Israel, June 16, 2025.
Ronen Zvulun/Reuters

About 20 Holocaust survivors’ homes were damaged after the Iranian missile strikes in Be’er Sheva Tuesday morning before the ceasefire went into full effect, a spokesperson for the Authority told ABC News. The 20 people were evacuated from their homes, the spokesperson said.

-ABC News' Dana Savir

Jun 24, 2025, 3:46 PM EDT

US strikes on Iran only set back nuclear program by months, early intelligence finds

The U.S. military strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities did not completely destroy the country’s nuclear program and likely only set it back by months, according to two people familiar with an early intelligence assessment.

A satellite image shows the Isfahan enrichment facility in Iran in this handout image dated June 14, 2025.
Maxar Technologies via Reuters

The initial report, which is highly classified, was produced by the Defense Intelligence Agency and U.S. Central Command. The U.S. believes based on early intelligence that significant damage was done but mostly to structures above ground.

The enriched uranium was not destroyed and centrifuges are largely intact, according to one source.

The findings are at odds with President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s insistence that Iran’s nuclear program had been “obliterated.”

When asked to comment, Hegseth stuck by his own assessment of the damage done based on the intelligence he’s seen.

This handout satellite image released by Planet Labs shows the Natanz nuclear facilities near Ahmadabad, Iran after airstrikes, June 15, 2025.
Planet Labs PBC/AFP via Getty Images

“Based on everything we have seen — and I’ve seen it all — our bombing campaign obliterated Iran’s ability to create nuclear weapons,” he said in a statement provided to reporters.

“Our massive bombs hit exactly the right spot at each target—and worked perfectly. The impact of those bombs is buried under a mountain of rubble in Iran; so anyone who says the bombs were not devastating is just trying to undermine the President and the successful mission,” he added.

ABC News confirmed the report also found evidence that the bombing sealed off the entrances to two of Iran’s nuclear facilities without destroying the underground structure, as first reported by The New York Times.

The enriched uranium was moved and that’s why it was not destroyed in the strikes

-ABC News' Anne Flaherty, Luis Martinez, Selina Wang and Mary Bruce

Sponsored Content by Taboola