Trump 2nd term updates: Trump excludes low-value shipments from looming tariffs

The amendment exempts imports valued at less than $800 from Canada and Mexico.

President Donald Trump’s efforts to reshape the federal government to his liking suffered a loss in court when a federal judge blocked his administration from firing the head of a federal watchdog agency without cause, likely triggering a lengthy appeal that could end at the Supreme Court.

U.S. District Justice Amy Berman Jackson determined the move was unlawful and issued a permanent injunction that reinstated special counsel Hampton Dellinger to his position.

Meanwhile, the Social Security Administration said it will cut 7,000 jobs and six of its 10 regional centers as part of the president’s downsizing of the federal workforce.

And Trump’s physician announced the president will have his annual physical next month, days after reporters raised questions about a bruise they saw on the back of his hand.

Feb 26, 2025, 6:05 PM EST

State Department to cut almost 10,000 foreign aid awards

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has completed his review of foreign aid contracts and grants distributed by the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development "as of this morning" and that he intends to end nearly 10,000 of the awards, the overwhelming majority of them, permanently within the coming days.

The filing said almost 5,800 USAID awards and approximately 4,100 awards distributed through the State Department will be terminated, while about 500 USAID awards and roughly 2,700 State Department awards will be retained.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the State Department in Washington, Feb. 10, 2025.
Craig Hudson/Reuters, FILE

The news was revealed in a joint status report filed Wednesday in a court hearing over the federal case over the $1.9 billion foreign aid freeze.

"USAID is in the process of processing termination letters with the goal to reach substantial completion within the next 24-48 hours," according to the defendant's statement included in the filing. "As a result, no USAID or State obligations remain in a suspended or paused state."

Three officials familiar with the situation told ABC News the numbers of awards to be retained and cut listed in the document were accurate.

The timeline for the review was originally slated for 90 days, but what's unclear is whether the process was rushed as part of the legal proceedings.

One official cast doubt on the review process, asserting it was a ruse and that the administration always intended to cut the majority of aid awards.

-ABC News' Shannon Kingston

Feb 26, 2025, 5:40 PM EST

Trump, Musk scale back promise of saving $2 trillion

During the Cabinet meeting, Musk and Trump notably walked back a campaign promise, saying that he wants DOGE to save the government $1 trillion rather than the $2 trillion previously promised on the trail.

Elon Musk delivers remarks during a Cabinet meeting held by President Donald Trump at the White House, Feb. 26, 2025 in Washington.
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

"We're looking to get it maybe to $1 trillion, if we can do that. We're going to start getting to be at a point where we can think in terms of balancing budgets," Trump said. "And that's a big -- whether it's this year or next year, I think we'll be very close to balancing budgets."

-ABC News' Michelle Stoddart

Feb 26, 2025, 5:31 PM EST

Trump signs new DOGE executive order

President Donald Trump signed an executive order that issues new DOGE cost-cutting instructions to agencies, according to the Trump administration's rapid response X account.

The president was expected to sign executive orders in the Oval Office this afternoon. However, the signing was not open to reporters.

The new DOGE-related executive order requires that agencies promptly submit a brief that would justify payments and travel expenses. The order states that these payments will be posted publicly.

It also requires agencies to work with the DOGE team to terminate or modify any contracts that were deemed unnecessary.

The order also indicates that all credit cards held by agency employees will be frozen for 30 days, until Friday, March 28, unless the employee is utilizing the card for disaster relief or other critical services as determined by the agency leader.

Lastly, the order instructs the General Services Administration to create a plan to offload any real estate that is no longer needed.

-ABC News' Kelsey Walsh

Feb 26, 2025, 4:11 PM EST

Administration orders NYC to end congestion pricing by March 21

The Trump administration has instructed New York City to end congestion pricing by March 21.

The Federal Highway Administration sent a letter to New York State Department of Transportation, New York City Department of Transportation and Metropolitan Transportation Authority, saying congestion pricing must end by March 21.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has vowed to fight the administration over their wishes to end the program, which generated nearly $50 million in revenue in its first month, according to officials.

-ABC News' Clara McMichael

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola