Trump 2nd term updates: Trump excludes low-value shipments from looming tariffs
The amendment exempts imports valued at less than $800 from Canada and Mexico.
President Donald Trump’s efforts to reshape the federal government to his liking suffered a loss in court when a federal judge blocked his administration from firing the head of a federal watchdog agency without cause, likely triggering a lengthy appeal that could end at the Supreme Court.
U.S. District Justice Amy Berman Jackson determined the move was unlawful and issued a permanent injunction that reinstated special counsel Hampton Dellinger to his position.
Meanwhile, the Social Security Administration said it will cut 7,000 jobs and six of its 10 regional centers as part of the president’s downsizing of the federal workforce.
And Trump’s physician announced the president will have his annual physical next month, days after reporters raised questions about a bruise they saw on the back of his hand.
Latest headlines:
- White House excludes low-value shipments from looming Canada, Mexico tariffs
- Kennedy stops short of calling for vaccines amid measles outbreak
- Intel community has concerns Russia, China could target fired employees
- Trump's doctor says he'll have annual physical exam 'next month'
- White House backs Israel blocking aid to Gaza
Trump, Musk scale back promise of saving $2 trillion
During the Cabinet meeting, Musk and Trump notably walked back a campaign promise, saying that he wants DOGE to save the government $1 trillion rather than the $2 trillion previously promised on the trail.
"We're looking to get it maybe to $1 trillion, if we can do that. We're going to start getting to be at a point where we can think in terms of balancing budgets," Trump said. "And that's a big -- whether it's this year or next year, I think we'll be very close to balancing budgets."
-ABC News' Michelle Stoddart
Trump signs new DOGE executive order
President Donald Trump signed an executive order that issues new DOGE cost-cutting instructions to agencies, according to the Trump administration's rapid response X account.
The president was expected to sign executive orders in the Oval Office this afternoon. However, the signing was not open to reporters.
The new DOGE-related executive order requires that agencies promptly submit a brief that would justify payments and travel expenses. The order states that these payments will be posted publicly.
It also requires agencies to work with the DOGE team to terminate or modify any contracts that were deemed unnecessary.
The order also indicates that all credit cards held by agency employees will be frozen for 30 days, until Friday, March 28, unless the employee is utilizing the card for disaster relief or other critical services as determined by the agency leader.
Lastly, the order instructs the General Services Administration to create a plan to offload any real estate that is no longer needed.
-ABC News' Kelsey Walsh
Administration orders NYC to end congestion pricing by March 21
The Trump administration has instructed New York City to end congestion pricing by March 21.
The Federal Highway Administration sent a letter to New York State Department of Transportation, New York City Department of Transportation and Metropolitan Transportation Authority, saying congestion pricing must end by March 21.
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has vowed to fight the administration over their wishes to end the program, which generated nearly $50 million in revenue in its first month, according to officials.
-ABC News' Clara McMichael
A 65% federal workforce cut at EPA?
Trump said during his Cabinet meeting Wednesday that he spoke with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin, and "he thinks he's going to be cutting 65 or so percent of the people from environmental."
Sources close to the EPA had mixed reactions to that news.
One federal employee with direct knowledge of EPA staffing told ABC News they were not surprised after Trump's attempts to reduce the agency in his first term. Others, though, said they were stunned by Trump's statements on Wednesday.
One source close to matters at the EPA said "that would be insanity" and questioned whether the president said 65 or 6.5%. They also speculated whether Trump may have left a word out after "environmental."
ABC News has reached out to the EPA for additional details about the alleged cuts and what the 65% includes. The agency has not yet responded.
"It's different, like, if the FAA doesn't fulfill its mission, you might see a plane crash tomorrow," the source said. "If EPA doesn't fulfill its mission, you might very well see actually like a devastating chemical leak within the next couple of weeks, but you'll almost certainly see a devastating cancer cluster in the next couple years or decades."
-ABC News' MaryAlice Parks and Kelly Livingston