Hurricane Helene updates: Death toll surpasses 230 as rescue efforts continue
Helene unleashed devastation across the Southeast.
More than 230 people have been killed from Hurricane Helene, which unleashed devastation across Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee.
Helene, which made landfall in Florida's Big Bend region as a massive Category 4 hurricane, has become the deadliest mainland hurricane since Katrina in 2005.
Latest headlines:
- 'Your nation has your back,' Joe and Jill Biden tell those in Helene's deadly path
- White House counters 'disinformation' in the wake of Hurricane Helene
- Search and rescue efforts still underway in North Carolina
- DOT announces $100M in emergency relief funds for North Carolina
- Hundreds of thousands still without power
Asheville police provide update on missing persons
Asheville Police Department Deputy Chief Sean Aardema provided a comprehensive update Friday afternoon on recent efforts by law enforcement and rescue teams.
He reported that out of approximately 350 missing persons reported, 270 individuals have been located and reunited with their families. The department is actively working on 75 missing persons cases.
"The good news is that in the last 72 hours, we’ve rescued three individuals, two of whom were trapped in debris in the Swannanoa River Road area," Aardema added. "These people are alive today thanks to the rapid response of search and rescue teams."
The use of rapid DNA testing, including equipment donated by the private sector, has played a critical role in identifying missing individuals, he added.
-ABC News' Jason Volack
Trump visits Georgia with Gov. Kemp
Former President Donald Trump -- who surveyed hurricane damage in Valdosta, Georgia, earlier in the week -- returned to the state to tour Evans, Georgia, on Friday with Gov. Brian Kemp, marking the former president’s first appearance with the governor since 2020.
Trump called his relationship with Kemp "great."
"We've always worked together very well," Trump said.
Kemp said to Trump, "I want to thank you for keeping the nation's attention on those who are hurting in Georgia."
Trump announced that Elon Musk will be offering Starlink terminals to Georgia, as he did for North Carolina.
Asked if he was concerned about people not being able to vote in North Carolina after Helene put a strain on election workers, Trump said he was more concerned about people's safety.
"I'm worried about the people, not the vote. I'm worried about the people, lot of people missing. It's a bad one. This was a bad one. Bad storm, maybe the worst," Trump said.
Trump on Friday repeated false claims that FEMA has run out of money for Helene by spending it on migrants.
-ABC News’ Lalee Ibssa
Dolly Parton announces donation to areas impacted by Helene
Tennessee native Dolly Parton has pledged a $1 million donation to Hurricane Helene victims.
"These are my mountains … these are my rivers," she told community members gathered in a Newport, Tennessee, Walmart parking lot on Friday.
Helene "was devastating," Parton said. "Not just because it was my family, because all these people feel like my people. We all feel related, and we are in some sort of way. So it just devastated me, just to know that we had suffering like that. So anything we can do to help."
Parton's businesses in east Tennessee -- Dollywood Parks & Resorts, Dolly Parton’s Stampede, and Pirates Voyage Dinner & Show -- as well as The Dollywood Foundation are combining efforts to match Parton’s donation with their own $1 million contribution.
"You just try to step up. God has been good to me and so has the public. And I feel like anything I can do to give back and do what I can, I’m always willing to do that," Parton said as the crowd applauded.
"We are with you, we love you, we hope that things get better real soon, and we’re gonna do our part," she said.
Walmart also announced a $10 million donation to relief efforts.
-ABC News’ Jianna Cousin
1,000 active-duty troops from Fort Liberty arrive in hard-hit western North Carolina
On Friday, 1,000 active-duty U.S. Army troops from Fort Liberty arrived in hard-hit western North Carolina to join the roughly 1,000 North Carolina National Guardsmen already on the ground.
Their responsibilities will "include delivering support and commodities [needed items] to impacted and isolated communities, assisting with supply point logistics at commodity staging locations, and removing debris from affected routes," officials said.
-ABC News’ Luis Martinez